Tom Drake, founder of MapleMoney is here this week to share his journey starting his blog and podcast to becoming one of the most popular Canadian personal finance brands. We chat about Tom’s relationship with money, the beginnings of MapleMoney, staying motivated, and Tom shares some wisdom for new content creators on things he wishes he knew when he was starting out. If you’re reading this and you’ve thought of starting something, this is your sign to start your content creation journey TODAY!
- Just get started already! There’s no perfect time, don’t wait until you have everything perfect because you’ll get it over time and with experience
- Tom’s advice to new content creators is to just trust the process and not try to rush growth. Focus on reaching your target audience and be consistent!
- Having multiple income streams is the same thing as diversifying your portfolio. When you have a side hustle you can make your own 10% raise in a year just by having an extra income stream
- Don’t compare yourself to others! It’s important to remember that you’re on your own journey, and comparisons won’t do you any good
- Tom’s side hustle as a blogger/podcaster has turned into his main hustle, but he’s still kept his 9-5 because he’s able to do both and still have time for himself and his family
Sign up and get $10 to trade on Wealthsimple Trade
Sign up for no-fee banking with Tangerine or EQ using my referral code!
Tangerine – new accounts get 2.5% interest (first 5 months), use my Orange key: 40411403S1
EQ Bank – all accounts get 1.5% interest, TFSAs get 2.3% interest!
Thanks so much for tuning in!